Updated: Jan 19, 2020
These muffins are a healthier option treat using oats instead of all purpose flour. They are gluten free, egg free, dairy free and vegan. If you don't need these muffins to be vegan you can use butter or ghee in place of the coconut oil. (Note - ghee is clarified butter meaning the dairy proteins and sugar have been filtered out. It is used by many people who are intolerant to the lactose, casein or whey in dairy.)
2.5 cups gluten free oats
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1.5 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup coconut oil
1 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tbsp coconut oil
2 tbsp brown sugar or coconut sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the applesauce, oil, sugar and vanilla.
3. Place the oats in a food processor or blender and pulse until it reaches a flour consistency (there will still be some small oat flakes but it should mostly look like flour)
4. Pour the oat flour into a separate bowl from the applesauce mixture and add the cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, baking soda, xanthan gum. Stir to combine.
5. Add the applesauce mixture to your flour mixture and stir until well combined (or use a mixer).
6. Grease or line a muffin tray with parchment paper (I use a silicone muffin tray and just line the bottom of each muffin cup with parchment paper).
7. Scoop evenly into the muffin tray (makes 10 muffins).
8. Using your finger tips, sprinkle the topping over each muffin.
8. Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes in the muffin tray before transferring the muffins to a cooling rack to finish cooling.