This recipe is great for those who are trying to reduce their overall carbohydrate intake, or just looking for fun ways to add more non-starchy, fibrous vegetables to their meals. I've also made this recipe with one large potato and half the amount of cauliflower. This meal is gluten free, paleo and keto friendly!
1 lb ground beef
1 tbsp olive oil
1 750 g bag frozen mirepoix vegetables (diced celery, carrot and onion). If your grocery store doesn't have this you can use 1 cup diced onion and 3 cups of vegetables of choice. Corn, peas, carrots, and green beans are common options.
1000 g of frozen riced cauliflower (I use two 500 g bags of President's Choice riced cauliflower)
1/4 cup butter or ghee, softened
2 beef bouillon cubes (I use Go Bio! Organic Bouillon Cubes)
Salt and pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. Pour the cauliflower into a large baking dish and place in the oven to defrost (about 30 minutes).
3. Meanwhile, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the olive oil and beef. Break up the beef and saute until about half of it is browned.
4. Add the frozen vegetables and stir to combine with the meat. Saute for about 5 minutes and then add the bouillon cubes (there should be enough liquid in the pan from the vegetables and meat to dissolve the bouillon cubes). Stir to combine.
5. Continue to saute over medium heat until the liquid is almost completely dissolved and the meat is fully browned. Add salt and pepper to taste (be careful not to over season as the bouillon cubes provide salt as well). Remove from heat.
6. Remove the defrosted cauliflower from the oven and scoop it into a food processor (depending on the size of your food processor you may need to do half of it at a time). Add the ghee, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp pepper to the food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is broken down. It should almost look like a puree.
7. Pour the meat mixture into an oven safe baking dish and spread the cauliflower puree evenly over the top. Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.