Roasted Butternut Squash Soup
This is a creamy squash soup that is dairy free and vegan!
1 medium butternut squash (you can also find bags of frozen cubed butternut squash at the grocery store to save you the chopping and deseeding)
2 tbsp olive oil, divided
1 cup diced onion
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 cups or more of vegetable broth
400 ml can of coconut milk
Salt and pepper (I use about a 1/4 tsp of each)
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Cut the squash into quarters and remove the seeds. Place on a baking sheet, drizzle with 1 tbsp oil, and roast in the oven for about 45 minutes, until you can easily pierce through the squash with a fork. If you are using cubed squash this will take less time, about 30 minutes.
3. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Meanwhile, place the onion, garlic and 1 tbsp olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Saute until the onion is soft.
4. Turn the heat to low. Add the pumpkin pie spice to the pot and stir to combine. Add the broth and coconut milk to the pot and stir.
5. Using a spoon, scoop the squash out of the skin and place into the pot. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
6. Use a hand help immersion blender, or transfer to a blender and puree the soup until it is smooth. Add salt and pepper and more vegetable broth if needed to reach desired consistency.