Simple and Healthy Chicken Shawarma
This chicken shawarma recipe is simple to make and tastes great. I paired it with hummus (this is key!) and a dressing made from dairy free yogurt as an alternative to traditional toum.
8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 cup plain unsweetened coconut yogurt (or regular yogurt if you don't need this to be dairy free)
1 tbsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1/4 tsp salt
Hummus, rice, lettuce, cucumber, tomato, olives, pickles, onions.
1. In a large bowl combine all the spices. Add the olive oil and mix into a paste.
2. Cut the chicken into thin slices and mix with the spice paste to evenly coat. Cover and let the chicken marinade in the spices 4 hours in the fridge.
3. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
4. Line a baking sheet and spread the chicken evenly onto the baking sheet. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes.
5. Remove from oven and serve with your favourite serving options.
Yogurt Garlic Sauce:
1. Combine all ingredients in a blender or bullet and mix until smooth.